American Stonehenge is the first book in the new series The Adventures of Jimmy and Andrew. Secrets to some of our world’s most ancient and mysterious legends are revealed to our two heroes in their first epic adventure.
Age Level: 9 and up | Grade Level: 4 and up
BlueInk Review: “Goldstein delivers memorable characters; the relationship between Jimmy and Andrew is especially rich. The author also includes a generous helping of kid-humor and keen understanding of young sensibilities.”
Reader Views Kids Review (Reviewed by Maddie, age 13): “I really liked this story for many different reasons, mostly because it’s different. There are lots of stories about a boy and his dog but this one isn’t like any of those! I also like the way the story is written, it kept me wanting to read what was going to happen next.”
Donovan’s Literary Services Review: “Filled with historical facts, mystery, and sci-fi elements, this story of a boy and his extraordinary animal companion is refreshingly original, vivid, and hard to predict … It’s a compelling weave of circumstances and characters that will prove hard to put down.”
Readers’ Favorite Review: “American Stonehenge is such an enchanting tale that will draw you into the world of the imaginative characters immediately. I absolutely adored the bond between Jimmy and Andrew and how beautifully it developed as the story unfolded. The author takes us on a magical journey of adventure, excitement, and shocking twists and turns while at the same time educating the young reader very cleverly on major events throughout history … this book ticked all the boxes for me.”
Royal Dragonfly 2020 Awards: Honorable Mention for categories Animal/Pets, Chapter Books, and Science Fiction/Fantasy.
Purple Dragonfly 2021 Awards Winner: 1st Place for Middle Grade Fiction, 2nd Place for Animals/Pets, Honorable Mention for categories Best Illustration and Chapter Books
It’s his birthday, and Jimmy gets to pick out a dog at the humane society. Jimmy has wanted a dog for as long as he can remember. But he never imagined he’d find a pet that could talk to him telepathically!
It turns out that the dog is immortal, born in Egypt more than three thousand years ago. With the ability to read both canine and human thoughts, he has roamed the earth ever since, hoping to find others of his kind. Only after he meets Jimmy does he begin to discover clues to his elusive origins.
When Jimmy rescues Andrew from the pound, the first of their many adventures begins. American Stonehenge takes Jimmy and Andrew to the remote forests of northern Washington, where they accompany the boy’s archaeologist parents on the excavation of a newly discovered site. The find – a fully intact duplicate of Stonehenge in England – is shrouded in a mystery that Jimmy and Andrew must unravel.
How did this Stonehenge come to exist? Why do so many strange things happen around it? And what’s this telepathic dog been up to for the past three millennia? These mysteries and more are waiting to be revealed in Jimmy and Andrew’s first great adventure!
"The plot moves quickly, and the illustrations are perfect!" – R.J.
American Stonehenge (Book One)
● Great for independent young readers, boys and girls, ages 9-14 (4th - 9th grade).
● Ideal for the young reader who is ready for more advanced reading, with well-developed characters and plots.
● The 33 full-page colored illustrations perfectly depict the major scene in every chapter and give the book a graphic novel quality, which intensifies the reading experience.
Best for kids who …
● like an action-packed and fast-paced fantasy or science fiction novel series.
● like historical fiction and fiction where all subjects being discussed are factually and historically correct, down to the smallest detail.
● like Harry Potter, Encyclopedia Brown, The Last Kids on Earth, and Percy Jackson, and love books by top authors like J.K. Rowling, Rick Riordan, Brandon Sanderson, Lois Lowry and R.L. Stine.
“Along with a very enjoyable read, you also get a one heck of a history lesson." – L.D.P.
Parents, grandparents and educators looking for ...
● An entertaining and educational novel series for upper-elementary and middle school tweens.
● Emphasizes strong values, intellectual curiosity and relational responsibility.
● Encourages interest in history, archaeology, anthropology and science.
● Incorporates accurate historical record, precise descriptions of places and cultural/experiential wisdoms.
● Emphasizes friendship, trust and curiosity in developing relationships.